Dredging up the past

TODAYS' ITEM is very different from the usual shenanigans, however , for better or worse----it qualifies as part of my 'cartoon past' at least in terms of employment.

This is me sitting at my drawing desk holding up an acetate cel from an animated feature I worked on, it was called AMERICAN TAIL 2: Fievel Goes West, and it was put together in London in the very late 80s and early 90s.

Not a happy time in my life [it could have been, had I been given the freedom to be let loose on my best stuff] it nevertheless provided me with work in a field I had a deep interest in, in fact we were working up to 70 hours a week in an intense London heatwave in the Summer of 1990.


I refrain from putting on any of the  frames I 'drew on' from this film, on the grounds the system of making these animated works rellies too much on the layouts and control of other artists: this has got absolutely nothing to do with my usual approach to cartooning, where I often bear responsibility for 100 per cent of the output at every stage.

Anyway, I thought this item made a nice change from the usual postings on here.


Yes, I KNOW I am grimacing in this photo, but believe me, my memories of working on this film are best not dwelled upon.




  My experience of working on this film is easily the most bitter memories of anything I done cartoon-related, even worse than the petty evil that represented   a disreputable forum I got banned/ stitched up on.

MOST cartoon-related experiences are fine, but over three decades,  I have had TWO clashes with rigid, oppressive and unimaginitive, backward-looking systems in my time.---------working on Fievel Goes West took the proverbial biscuit, though---by a LONG chalk. 




Back to my all-original postings and drawings next time.



RAB L RAUSER 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pretties For You [Too]

IPC REDUX

OfficeToons in Continium